Noon at Percival Landing, Olympia
RUTH SENT US! is a one-hour celebration/rally to honor the memory of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg and to affirm our united determination to win the elections and to protect democracy.
WHERE AND WHEN: Tuesday, September 29th, 12pm-1pm, in Olympia, along both sides of 4th Ave. from Water Street to the bridge. Please plan to arrive at 11:45am so we can get the signage/flags distributed and participants stationed 6’ apart before noon.
HOW MANY PARTICIPANTS DO WE NEED? We need at least 82 OI members to come to hold signs, wave flags, and hold our Olympia Indivisible banner. Bring your family!
Please Sign Up Here
SIGNAGE: RBG was known for her organization and coherent messaging. Our rally will capture that spirit. We have printed up 50 signs for participants to hold during this event (we will use safe handling practices for assembling and distribution). The sign RUTH SENT US will alternate with signs reading:
- TO PROTECT THE SUPREME COURT
- TO FLIP THE SENATE
- TO WIN THE WHITE HOUSE
- TO PHONE BANK, TEXT, AND DONATE
- TO SAVE DEMOCRACY
- LEARN HOW: OlympiaIndivisible.org
- AND VOTE EARLY! USE BALLOT BOXES
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR OWN SIGN: Please feel free to do this if you prefer, but please respect the nature of this event. We are honoring RBG’s memory and standing united in our commitments to protect democracy and win the 2020 elections. Please keep your messaging focused on these issues and keep your wording civil and positive (think like Ruth!).
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Facemask (OBLIGATORY–Let’s lead by example!)
- Either your Olympia Indivisible T-shirt or:
- a dark (black, navy blue, brown) T-shirt or shirt; or
- your favorite RBG t-shirt if you have one; or
- your Supreme Court robes
- SPOILER ALERT! WE ARE MAKING 50 RBG ribbon-tie collars to hand out to the first 50 participants who show up!! (safe handling will be followed for assembly and distribution). If you already have your own RBG collar, please feel free to wear yours!
SAFE CONDUCT AGREEMENT: We will have a team of green-vested safety volunteers on hand for this event. For everyone’s well-being, you agree to observe the following safety measures as a participant:
- wear a facemask;
- observe socially distancing of 6’ (except for family members if you are coming as a family “bubble”);
- during the rally, stay on the sidewalk at a safe distance from the curb, allowing pedestrian traffic to freely circulate;
- conduct yourself with civility (do NOT engage in or respond to belligerent behavior from drivers or pedestrians).
Contact both our Senators now – Yes, they need to hear from us!
Slow the SCOTUS nominee process!
Call your senators. Tell them to (Source):
– Say “I Object”, every time McConnell calls for Unanimous Consent – especially regarding meetings of the Judiciary Committee
– Force Republicans to produce quorums on their own, creating a “quorum call” that requires 51 Republican senators on the floor before the Senate can conduct business
– Boycott any SCOTUS nomination hearings – do not legitimize the nominee or the rushed nomination process
– Reform the court in 2021 – call for term limits
When calling Senator Cantwell (202-224-3441) – thank her for her Twitter post – tell her to keep speaking loudly against a rushed nomination process.
When calling Senator Murray (202-224-2621) – thank her for her statement regarding the SCOTUS nominee (below) – tell her to keep speaking loudly for a SCOTUS nominee by the next President. Listen to Senator Murray’s statement HERE.
Senator Murray: “The next President should choose Justice Ginsburg’s replacement … to spare our democracy the painful chaos of making such a decision so close to an election. People are speaking out—and the Senate must listen, as Majority Leader McConnell insisted only a few years ago”